Wednesday, August 31, 2016

What Alicia Key's No Makeup Stance Is Truly About



I recall just a few months ago reading an article about Alicia Keys refusing to put makeup on during public appearances. The article got many mixed reactions. Some thought she was brave for going against wearing makeup. Some thought what she was doing was dumb and that she may be trying to bash those who do wear makeup. My reaction was .... makes sense to me. So when I saw her show up to the VMA's, I wasn't all that shocked to see her face bare. But this sparked a frenzy of opinions from the Court of Public Opinion. Once again, a lot of people took what she is doing way out of context. So, I am going to explain to you what she's doing.

Can you live without your cellphone? How dependent on it are you? I know there are so many people reading this blog now on their phones. I know I can't live without mine. Not only is it the way I make money, it is also the way I communicate with everyone. I also remember growing up in a time where I didn't have that much access to the world. Then, I didn't feel like I needed it. I managed to keep in contact with everyone, speak to my friends, and get things done without it in my hand. I bet you're wondering why I am talking about cellphones right? Because, like makeup for Alicia Keys, our cellphones is something we are completely dependent on. If we lose it or it gets cut off or broken, we're lost. Alicia Keys expressed feeling very dependent on makeup in the same manner. It became so much of a dependency that she couldn't even go to the store without makeup on. Part of it had to do with the fact of feeling the need to be perfect for, well us. The Court of Public Opinion. Insecurity does not have a income limit. The richest people in the world can be insecure about any and everything. Alicia Keys is no exception. So, honestly, this was nothing more than her deciding to rebuild her self-esteem after years of not loving who she is without a cosmetic product.

We ultimately play a role in this by shaming and ridiculing everyone for their looks, the way they dress, the way they do their hair, etc. We, The Court of Public Opinion, demand perfection from these celebrities. Actually, we demand perfection from anyone. We want all women to be flawlessly beautiful 24/7, well Western Society's definition of beautiful. We will turn people into memes making fun of these imperfections just to get a good laugh out of it. We project our insecurities onto them, which puts them in a situation where they feel like they have to impress us. So, consider this Alicia Key's middle finger to everyone who has had an opinion on her appearance. She's done trying to be perfect for us. She's done trying to look good for us. She's done being imprisoned by our opinion. I don't blame her. No one should ever feel like they have to perfect to be loved and liked by others.

So this isn't about her seeking attention. This isn't about her bashing makeup. It's about her regaining control over her life. Nothing wrong with that. We should not be dependent on any cosmetic product to make us feel better about ourselves. Makeup is to be for fun. We should enjoy really putting these looks together. But to need it in order to feel better about ourselves is stressful. You all are beautiful just the way you are. Alicia Keys is merely an example of regaining back her confidence. If we learn anything from her, it should be that. As long as we are confident in ourselves the way we are, wearing makeup won't be an issue. Wear the makeup, don't let it wear you.



Aly Jae is a Beauty Influencer and a member of Ipsy Open Studios. Active in the Beauty Industry since 2008, Aly continues to educate others about makeup application, products, techniques, and skincare.


No comments:

Post a Comment